Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Editing A Movie

Now that I got everything shot and dailied. I sit in a very dark room pondering the story I've set out to tell. It's a total brain fuck. I know I've got footage. But what is the most effective way to convey it? Chances are, a lot of you who make your own movies have an idea of what it takes to piece together your project. Most may just like to slap it together and let the winds take it. Others focus on every meticulous piece, whether sane or not.

I think we're all very media savvy these days. We know what may work or doesn't. Some tap the very obvious decisions. A LOT are boring garbage. This is the crevice I'm trying to leap. Trying hard to get a good tale in a short amount of time.

Most people, when starting out, tend to cram a feature into a short film. Others will try to extract a scene from a feature film into a short film. Both these may work. Worked for "Saw." They shot a short movie which was essentially one scene from their feature. I recall seeing it on that set. It was very well done. A good piece to shop around for potential. The script was also very good. This seems to be incredibly rare. Anyway, right now...I'm very proud of the project we have. Watched it a few times. There's a LOT that needs to be done with it. In particular, sound design.

This is so overlooked in general. I'm definitely guilty of it. Since I deal with picture. But sound can elevate a poorly conceived film. I've seen it happen. Ben Burtt ("Star Wars") re-defined what sound does for picture. These guys are batshit crazy by the way, so...like wombats, unless you REALLY have to deal with them, stay clear.

I really like having a purpose in finishing this short film. There's a great sense of accomplishment and pride. If I were to be interviewed for my take on making shorts, I'd say one thing...DO NOT put too much on your plate. Share with people your passion and they will come out to support you. This is a fucked up industry we work in. A guy could be a production manager, but in the interim be making your burrito at El Torito. EVERYONE has pride. Learn to tap into people's willingness to see you for the creative mind you possess. And persevere. You're going to deal with really fucked up people. Unfortunately, this is the norm and not the exception. DON'T allow people (or try your best) not to let people tear you down too soon. People can be dicks. Especially if you're on the same path as them. Instead, focus on the great support from people who believe in you.

Our lives are really short. If we're not out there doing something enriching, you're wasting it away. A day shouldn't pass without you fulfilling that part of it. We're not gonna be here forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment