Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Hiatus


So the girl and I are taking a break. Mostly that she’s taking a break from me. Seems that her friends are in town and would like to make some time with them. Not a big deal. I figure the type of partying they want to do isn’t going to be conducive with my inability to drink as hard as I use to. I get the feeling they’re going to really give their liver a workout. For which I’d rather not deal with. ESPECIALLY if I am the designated driver. Talk about being emasculated right in front of my eyes.

In this time, I've really enjoyed getting back to writing. Not only on this blog, but I've been wanting to make a short film about a man like Robinson Crusoe. But in post nuclear apocalypse. A man who is a survivor and lives in a missile silo, realizes his connection to the outside world may be his only hope for sanity.

Sounds familiar, I guess.

Except, since I live in L.A., it's more like my only hope for sanity is if I STAY in my missile silo. Or in this case, home in Van Nuys. Which probably is more radioactive than a nuclear fallout.

I haven't decided what is the reasoning for the world imploding onto itself due to nuclear war. I want to imply that maybe it was all the information superhighway giving out bad information at an alarm speed. For which there wasn't even time to evaluate information but to react. Not sure if it even really matters, since society boned itself with the new technology. My assumption is that we just blew ourselves up to the stone age and that the very lucky few who were able to survive, had survival instincts to begin with. Unless you're at ground zero, for which there is no merit badge that's going to protect you from instant incineration.

I always liked that story of a man alone in his daily routine. Slowly realizing that he isn't alone. To spitball here...I think my main character wants to piece together a familiar surrounding. One that he can control. The question being that if society could be rebuilt by you, how would you remember society? Is it the people that aggravate you daily that make your existence notable. Since if you accomplish anything, and no one is there to appreciate, it really doesn't seem to be that big of an accomplishment. Mean, do we also enjoy the evaluation of others to validate us?

I think in the long run, we do seek connection. A familiarity that we crave. That we intuitively know is part of us. Otherwise, there is no living. Because if you stop to think about it, we do a LOT of things to show to others who we are. 

Maybe we do need an organism that speaks like us, that looks like us, and can share dreams or thoughts like us because if we're left alone, there is no more a dialogue that progresses life. In other words, what reason is there for living?

I really need to explore this further, because I have to dig up the universal truth which others would appreciate. See there I go again, finding validation in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment