Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Georgia Bulldogs Win The National Championship For College Football

Congratulations to the college football champs beating the Alabama Crimson Tide. I knew something was bad when Alabama seemed lazy against the Cincinnati Bearcats. BUT, Alabama had beaten Georgia late in the season and was most likely favored to win it all. I was surprised to hear that Georgia hadn't won a championship since 1980. I was 5 years old at the time. Some could argue that there was no playoff scenario back then, so it seems they truly won one back then rather than this odd bracket of judges who choose. Or that some teams backed into the playoffs since everyone else lost...such as the Bearcats. Honestly, I know very little about the SEC. They seem to have, at least, one team in the playoffs every year. To be frank, college football is starting to have parity. Any team can shock another team on any given day. Perhaps that was their reasoning to include Cincinnati. The result seemed lackluster. Not sure if having a Cinderella team pop the powerhouses gained any new fans. Or any bigger ratings. Hard to say. Cincinnati isn't a big city, nor big into putting money into sports. But it yields interesting pro players, Travis Kelce, of the Kansas City Chiefs to name one. Alabama and Georgia always have players go into the NFL. The question is how many from each team. College football has become a minor league team before they reach the majors. I was thinking about this today...perhaps it's my aging...but football seems dumb. When I look at it from afar, here are a coordination of humanity moving in some formation to move...a football. I know the comparison has been made, but you think about the gladiators of Roman times. We are spectators who are watching man's physicality on display. It's barbaric in a sense which, I suppose, adds to the thrill. Something about the idea of a small ball being fought over now seems silly to me. To be honest, I hadn't really watched that many games this year. May seem like it on social media, but it doesn't seem to bring me the same joy as when I was young. I didn't watch the Championship game. Felt like it would be a chore. Perhaps it's also that I have more important things to do with 3 to 4 hours of my day. It now feels wasted if I zone out in front of a television. I do still take pride in the teams I grew up with and have loyalty towards. I think it's more for a city that has suffered many sports setbacks. Similar to the Chicago Cubs suffering weird fates to prevent them from glory. Football is our history though too. We like to crunch the numbers and bicker about stats. We also like to take ownership of players. Like collecting G.I. Joes. I do also like to watch young people succeed. In an odd way, football marks our age. Much like our children growing up do. Like, we recall watching a player when he was in college, go into pros and then retire and we think "wow, I remember him from college." This happens more and more (obviously) as you grow older. Players seem to be like family. I'm sure there's a psychology as to why we watch football. And I'm sure it addresses the primal nature of it. Any way, congrats to the Bulldogs for pulling out an underdog victory since Blondie was number 1 on the Billboard charts.

No comments:

Post a Comment