Monday, January 24, 2022

Cincinnati Bengals Won A Playoff Game!

Upon beating the Las Vegas Raiders (still sounds weird), the Bengals organization celebrated its first playoff win in...uh...31 years. Quite embarrassing. To put into perspective... I had just gotten my driver's license. I am 46 now. Also, "The Simpsons" had just premiered on Fox. Was Fox even a t.v. station yet? Then...they won another. They took the Tennessee Titans to the brink... ...and won. I don't put that much faith that they will make it further. HOWEVER, that does not mean I don't have hope. You have to remember that I am conditioned for a great deal of disappointment. That isn't to say I am not proud of the franchise and happy for the city. My friends and I quietly celebrate because...as a Bengals fan, we are always wondering about when the next shoe is about to drop. They are playing the Kansas City Chiefs for the chance to play in the Super Bowl. Which would change the dynamics of the franchise. Again. I love this team behind Joe Burrow. He is a normal dude who just wins. And that hasn't been seen in Cincinnati for a while. A lot of the blame falls on the ownership, whom I considered always subpar. It is a family business and fear if I mention his name here, it will jinx their chances. Look, this team has already done SO much for the city. And obviously it will be disappointing if they aren't the Super Bowl champs. But I am already impressed with their accomplishments. Particularly since every single media pundit didn't have Cincy winning 4 games let alone the entire thing. That's the wild thing about pro sports, I guess. It got me thinking that...superstars aren't born that way. They are made. This would mean a ton of notoriety for the city. More exceptional athletes would take the city seriously. This all means press coverage for that town. Which means more money. I don't think Burrow cares much about that stuff. I think, when you get to be my age, just being remembered is already a big deal. For him, he'd easily be considered for a lot of accolades. The man who pulled Cincinnati from the pro football ashes, for one. There were a lot of crushing defeats yesterday. The Buffalo Bills had just lost to the Chiefs. And that game was incredible. A shootout to end the Wild Card weekend. Go and see the incredible highlights if it interest you. The Bills and us share a lot in common. A ton of futility and no Super Bowl wins. They suffer a little longer. The anticipation of these things come down to the fact that there can only be one. It is a team sport but it is also a representation of pride. And no one knows pride more than tigers.

No comments:

Post a Comment