Tuesday, April 20, 2021

The Balance Of Getting Your Story Told

 If you are reading this and want to make a movie.

Do it.

"But how do I get the money to do it?"

Fuck if I know.

All I can tell you is this...put your own ass on the line if you really believe your story is worth telling. But don't expect anyone to care.

Cynical?

Sort of. Personally, I have faith in anyone who goes forth in any endeavor to make a movie. Most of you who have come out here are just trying to survive. Live and eat in Hollywood whilst dreaming of stories to tell. Boy, does that get old fast.

Most of you are broke. Broke in the sense that you have no money, yes, but also broke in that all the efforts put upon you to survive have broken your will to do this profession. Because nothing is promised. And the hill becomes a mountain fast.

This is NEVER to discourage you from pressing forward. A lot of you are tone deaf and do wild things to survive. I know a few people who do what it takes to stay here and do things here (though I wonder why). The rest is that you have to work and people have to rely on you.

There are also people who cut ties with people simply because they are struggling. This is fine, but you will die on a very lonely hill. These are broken people who have no support. And don't want or need it.

I recall being something of a recluse shortly after I stopped being a cinematographer. I didn't really want anything to do with movies for a little bit. I would still study the trades (waste of time) or have thoughts of writing. Meanwhile, I had a steady job that sustained me. Los Angeles and Hollywood is NOT an easy place to live. Everything requires that you be mobile.

So when I see people on the streets or know people who do this to get further in the entertainment business, I do have a sense of "yeah! Go get it!" At the same time pity them, as I do know the odds.

The trick is to have something much more steady so you can do the things you want. Most people in our field think having a steady thing means you become complacent in the entertainment career. I know plenty in post who I am surprised had any aspirations to do anything. They become old, have families and they let that go. Though, they have a twinge of envy in their voice when you speak of your continued aspirations to make things. Envy or resentment? Who knows?

The idea is to keep pushing forward. Have something at the end of the day that you can look forward to. Write something that you know will never get made. Enjoy the accomplishment of finishing something. It really does feel good to have intellectual property that came from your brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment