Monday, May 6, 2019

First Time Aware Of Movies

When did you get interested in movies?
My folks were cheap people. They use the term "frugal" But frugal got them a house and able to purchase reliable cars with cash in hand. Yep, they've never made a car payment and they bought their house within a few years. Insane to think about.

But I just remember we didn't have cable television, so I watched a TON of television. Since my parents were always working, we were babysat by my oldest sister, who couldn't care less whether we were fed or whether we even came home (buried in books) and the television. My generation is probably the last to deal with the 3-4 channel system. Or can at least remember it. My television was black and white. But, something in my Mom told her that we needed entertainment. Probably so we'd get out of her hair. So she bought me a 19" Zenith. I thought I'd won the lottery. I'd find ways to hack it so that the VCR could record off the television. Or I'd put the antennae on the far end of the window sill to pick up the UHF channels. Ma was really progressive when it came to getting the best (as Zenith was the best back then). She traded into a Sony years later. These t.v.s were also huge. It sat on top of my dresser. I had a pretty dope room, which now my nephew crashed out in. Doing the same thing, except this time...it's online gaming.

I'd watch a ton of edited television movies. Back in the day, the big 3 NBC, CBS and ABC would make "Movie Of The Week" You'd see some seriously corny shit. I recall all the stars of the 70's became the stars of the MOW 80's. That was great work for actors as it seemed they shot as fast as possible. Cheap but efficient. Some were pretty damn good though. A few ones were about alcoholism. Though every weekend, if you couldn't afford to go to movies, they'd show theatrical run movies (edited for commercials). This is where I got my bug. Watching these...well, what amounts to a marathon of movies. On Sunday, they'd play a block of films that had a theme. The one I can clearly remember is the John Hughes block. It would be "The Breakfast Club" (edited for t.v.), "
Sixteen Candles" and "Weird Science" I'd watch four hours of television to get to "Weird Science" because I had the hots for Kelly LeBrock. See, we lived for anticipation those days. Ordering on demand sort of killed that spirit of waiting for something good, and I pity those who never experience it (as I'm sure the next generation will pity those who have never experience virtual reality). After the marathon, I would sit in my room and write on my typewriter. Stories about the girls I liked or the drama I faced at school. In essence, living a teenage girl's life. Though, I will say, this impressed a lot of teachers. I think, because I traded my social life for expressing something creative. While the rest were partying and turning in last minute stories, I really put effort into crafting drama.

My folks' place is time capsule though. They seemed to have left it the way it was when all the children left. I wish my nephew would find some outlet for something that seems to be missing in him. I don't think he sees it, but it seems he really wants to figure it out one day. He talks to me a few times. Only when he gets going is when he really wants you to know he is interesting. Maybe he can be creative in his own way through movies one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment