Wednesday, May 8, 2019

A Few Things For Film Students

Lately I've been hanging with a few film students. They are extremely green but show some talent. They're organized and tackle projects as if they're on a mission. And have thus far been impressed with their efforts. A few things come to mind when I see the institutionalized learning though.

1) Film school is not real world scenario. I would say after you graduate film school, you can do one of two things...get on a set and be a production assistant and hustle your dick off. OR start writing. And have somewhat rich parents to supplement your living. Film school buffers you in that everyone in your class is available and that gear is at hand. Doesn't happen in the real world. This will derail 60-80% of the people desperate to work in movies. Logistics of a production in Los Angeles is fucking stupid. Everything can be done if you do it illegally. That's the unfortunate truth. In any other city outside the two fucking media ones (NY being the other) no one cares if you shoot in the park or other locations. Small restaurants love it actually. No one says shit. Los Angeles, they shake you down for $50 if you carried your camera past their store. This is the reality regardless of how unfair.

2) ALWAYS follow through. If I were to shine a spotlight on you, DO NOT FLAKE. I find this to be the worst quality any one who wants to work in movies can have. They do not follow through with something they say they will do. I shouldn't have to drag your ass up the mountain if to get up that mountain means your survival. Get it?

3) No one is a bigger fool than you. You will never fool anyone with being simple minded. I recall being on a set when I first graduated. I was hired as a grip for nothing a day. Now, the young brain of me thought what a low production it was. And everything I said on set was trying to play kind so people would take mercy on my inexperience. Guess what? NO ONE FUCKING CARES. In fact, they get sick of it within a few hours. Much like that Christine Blasey Ford's dumb girl act. You won't fool adults. So if you tell me "something suddenly came up"...that shit doesn't fly. And no one takes you seriously. By the way, if I'm the one being blown off, you really did me a favor by not having to have to do you one. That's how EVERYONE in the business considers new people. And it's a relief. You doing the brush off, on the other hand, still are trying to figure out what the best course of action to get into the business will be. These types who choose one of another simply based on "being a better time" will not make it. I've never seen that happen. Filmmaking is work. And it's work that is sometimes ugly and boring.

4) Kissing up to the wrong people. This business is not good for the ego. So people make one up. Most people in this town are worthless. Seriously, absolutely worthless. Because they are struggling as you are. And now with the new equality push, you are required to put in as much hard work as us. Welcome. That means waking up at 3 in the morning or drive out to some remote desert and pull electrical cable...as a point of starting out. Chances are you will get a desk job and bitch about inequality. Equality, to most women in this business, really means they can verbally blast the men who sexually or emotionally abused them. Everyone gets abused in this business. Men, most likely worse, simply because it's a weeding out process. White men are probably now the single most endangered species in Hollywood. Consider that equal? So what? Correct answer? Yes, move on.

5) Do not become bitter and cynical. I have a pretty bad streak when it comes to being bitter and cynical so perhaps my example isn't the best. BUT, what I do love is the craft. Set your compass. If having to deal with people sucks, do something else in the business that doesn't suck. If your goal is to make movies. Nothing will stop you. Some of my friends still have that dumb dream of directing big budgeted movies. Won't happen. Won't grow up. I won't grow up. Movie business is getting more and more corporate. And getting less the shaggy shant wearing hippie brain (I miss you Hal Ashby!). Find a niche for yourself that allows you to survive and you will.

These thoughts aren't meant to scare future film students. I think they aren't teaching the newcomers anything that is practical to the real world. Because the real world sucks. And we coddle the newcomers because...they're still tourist. Fuck, been here nearly 20 years and I still feel like a tourist. Now before you go thinking it's because it's sour grapes and I'm a washed up has-been. Kinda. It never became a career for me due to a few things mentioned. But, it also does weed out that special kind of nut who can do this year in and year out and attempt to function correctly. If you imagine the tiny group of people who do 90% of the work, you see the climb one must make, and hiding behind school education doesn't help.
The biggest thing I can add is this... get on whatever production you can do, be enthusiastic but not annoying and make people like and remember you. More than anything, be that person people like being around for hours and you'll win at this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment