Thursday, September 6, 2018

Burt Reynolds

I told a friend that he was on his deathbed two weeks ago. He got defensive and told me he'd seen him earlier that year at a film screening. Today, I was able to throw that back in his face, but...somehow this "I told you so" moment really fucking sucked. I heard he wasn't in the best of health when he finished up "The Last Movie Star." To which I knew, when people are willing to share health issues, death isn't too far. What does it matter now anyway. Also, did you know he did spend a little time in the Actor's Studio. Thought it was corny. Not a big surprise.

I love Burt Reynolds. My Dad who speaks very little English when he first came to America loved Burt as well. Women wanted to fuck him, men wanted to be him. Though, I had a chance to read his book in which...he was just a normal guy. Considering he was the biggest box office actor in the late 70's it's remarkable that he was...very humble. My generation only heard of/rumors of his diva type behavior on "Boogie Nights" a film that rejuvenated his film career (off a television career). Watching the performance the first time, I'm sure most people...like myself, were wondering why Burt Reynolds. He seemed much less about acting and should have been more directing. He had a smooth touch when it came to his own movies. "Sharky's Machine" was his comedic answer to "Dirty Harry." And the "Cannonball Run" movies were about his love of his friends. Think about all the actors in that movie that was on their way out. He and stunt man turned director Hal Needham basically filmed their friends having fun.
Mr. Reynolds was a "crew man." He respected the people who got their hands dirty and knew...craft. I suspect Bruce Willis is similar. Hates on directors but loves the crew. I think that has something to do with just battle of wills. A working man chums around. A director is academic. Pretentious and emotional. I think Burt preferred chumming around to...say Paul Thomas Anderson pretending to be a director. But I can't blame Burt's hesitation to take P.T. Anderson seriously. He seems nebbish and scholarly without an ounce of fun. Or it's that fun that no one else sees as fun. There's not much playfulness to his movies. They're dark and somewhat angry and resentful (in my mind anyway). Though the subject matter is suppose to be funny. Robert Altman protege perhaps.

Tangent...so I bid Burt Reynolds a farewell. He really helped many people who just wanted to work. I read about all the character actors who Burt revived. Charles Durning, Ossie Davis, Marilu Henner...these are a bunch that are grateful for his pull.
That's what movies are suppose to be about...family reparatory. And Burt knew that. It wasn't all that serious. Just do it and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment