Sunday, July 15, 2018

The Race Relations Within A Steam Room

I can sum up the race relations in America simply by what I heard in the steam room.
A Mexican guy and a White guy were chatting about the welfare system in America as I entered. They both were fed up with the way people want free things and that they were taxed beyond belief. The White guy was done with California. He stated that he had a few more years to work before he retires and gets out of California because of the issues with California. The Mexican guy, in his thick accent, was considering the same, but saddened because it is a home he made since the 90's. Those were better times for both of the guys.
The Mexican guy and the White guy were sick and tired of the homeless problems. People who've parked their motor homes on the street for YEARS. And that these are also the ones who choke traffic when it gets rough. They're both sick of the drugs. The food stamps. In short, they were both sick of the Leftist/Liberal agenda. Both were working men (as far as I could tell). And both agreed California cannot sustain itself with continual handouts.
Then...
...
...the Mexican guy told a story of a blonde hair white lady who was pregnant. She was standing by the side of the road, with a sign begging for money.
Let me repeat for you gringos...A blonde haired blue eyed White lady was pregnant and begging for money. The White guy grew quiet. It occurred to me, he was probably thinking to himself the Mexican guy is completely full of shit, because as we've learned (or now must unlearn) Mexicans get pregnant at the rate of cockroaches and steal from American systems. Look at them right now crossing the border illegally. The White guy bit his tongue. Didn't want to get into this debate. The Mexican guy's perspective is that White trash is stealing from our taxes. The White guy's perspective is that Mexicans are. One is a legal citizen, the other...perhaps not.
Then it REALLY dawned on me...neither of these two even remotely asked one single question to the other.
In other words "Why?"
In civil society we don't lecture or gripe or whine. We are suppose to be listening. Instead, NO ONE listens. People have told me I'm a great listener. And I'll take that as a compliment. Because it's the Midwest in me. Which is...ask questions. Why? Why? Why?
If I were involved in this conversation the first question I'd ask the Mexican is..."how do you feel about people crossing the border illegally"? Perhaps this would lead to an accusatory line, but you soften that with..."I see your point." Questions leads to understanding. The Mexican guy never asked "what would it take to turn you around about the conditions of California?" "Why is it you feel you need to leave instead of change the system?" These types of questions show interest. Interest means you care about the thoughts of another. People consider this...kind. Being curious is what got my friend Chris a high power C.E.O. position at his company. Got my friend J.C. far in life as well. Gotten everyone I know a better position in life. But instead, the ones I see fail miserably at life are people who are so focused on themselves, they forget that other people have thoughts too.
This girl I went out with once, during the date she asked so many questions about myself I was winded from answering as many as I could while batting them back. She recently produced a musical. How the fuck is THAT for powerful.
People just aren't curious about others anymore. THAT is the issue with race relations today. Figure that out you will be successful. Because you will have a better understanding of people, no matter what walk of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment