Sunday, April 1, 2018

Student Filmmakers

Students are funny. They constantly beat the drum of "I know it's tough out there, and I have to pay my dues." But they don't REALLY know what that entails. I was like that anyway...

I went to the screening of a film I helped on which was a student project. I would hardly call it a student level since it was well made with a solid short narrative. Everyone did their job impeccably and professionally. Guess what? 90% of them aren't going to work in Hollywood.
For one thing, why would you? The joke is "you're smart, clever and work hard, why would Hollywood want you?" The truth is...well, I wasn't there to crush dreams since I was asked what life was out of film school.
Don't count on anyone with money and...
tell cool stories around a campfire. I can tell already these kids were trying to figure out what the studios want. This a monster mistake I see in every cinematographer's reel. Dark and moody and late afternoon beauty shots are what they can afford...and is a neon sign telling people you are new and profession. True, but you also probably seem like a wet blanket on set.
Show business is tough due to the "business" part you can't get around. Well, you can. I hate to say it but if you see all the ones who "made it" the majority of them didn't come from the mean streets of whatever. They had support. MASSIVE support. Even in my enclave of uber-indie, friends, my parents and sisters are amazing supporters of what I do, though none understand any of it. I've been bailed out on so many occasions. Most people who come here with nothing but dreams, leave with less. Sorry that's harsh. But it's reality. In the case of this high-profile film school that takes the supposed best of the best...now you introduce ego and arrogance.

No one knows who becomes successful outside walls of institution. When I was in film school, the instructors seemed to be hiding out from the harsh reality of life. I understand that now. They followed the same urban myth out there that you have a vision that would catch fire and be cheered on as the savior of cinema. If THEY had ever given you a chance. But the closer you get to the campfire, the more you realize everyone around it doesn't warrant your efforts.
My parting words to the director were this:
"Keep this crew close to you. It won't ever be like this again. The support system. Do your best to just run the marathon." He nodded. I'm sure he got it. He previously went to an Ivy League college before film school.

No comments:

Post a Comment