Saturday, April 28, 2018

A Perspective From Old Film Industry Folk

I read a fascinating editing book about Ralph Rosenblum's career as an editor. The most famous ten years of his career were with Woody Allen.
It struck me (a book written in 1986) that he had been so candid about Allen's work habits. He claims Allen to be very much the opposite of his on-screen persona. Which is shocking when you think how when everyone does an impression, it's always the nebbish Brookyln Jew. In truth, Rosenblum claims Allen is quiet, scholarly and says very little and makes no effort to be personable (ala EVERYONE in Hollywood). He shows very little emotion, whether watching edits of his movies or even animated when it comes to lopping off great jokes to save the pace of the movie. He doesn't scream, very little presentable ego. But he is judgmental. He was described in the book as a distant corporate executive.Which I suppose means he's curious about the product and not what was behind it.

I REALLY envy that. In that sense, Woody Allen is the only guy I know who can see his own work objectively and is a true collaborator.
For me, now that I'm doing some producing, once I sense disinterest or laziness, I fight back to finish the project. This occurred years ago on a project that hasn't seen the light of day. A LONG time ago I read that Stephen J. Cannell, the prolific writer/producer of EVERY 80's action show, advised young people, that if you start a script...FINISH IT. No matter how bad it turns out. FINISH IT. What great advice. First you feel so much accomplished because of it. And second...if teaches you that you can't float around because of your whims. In the case of movies, it's grossly unfair to the people involved. If that means I drag your corpse up Hamburger Hill, that's what it means.

Most people who you have to do this with, are defensive and lack appreciation. It's simply a shot to their ego. To which my response would be...you failed. You failed to illustrate any level of appreciation our craft requires and the discipline to see these things through. And worse, you refuse to believe you are incapable of follow through. In short, the worst things about Hollywood.

These accusations obviously don't sit well. The solution: impress people with your discipline.
The fact that you dragged your ass (if you did) to this sunny yet hostile land means you have no excuses to do things. Anything that pertains to entertainment. I am guilty as well of this one thing...we get sidetracked with the limitations. I have none. Because my limitations aren't what the business model wants anymore. I am constantly writing. Something I see very little of. And reading. And interested in people. And great stories. I'm constantly wondering what it means to sit around a campfire and would this story interest people. Does it interest me?

I've started many a script and haven't finished it. I'm starting a new one now, whilst putting together details to start on the new feature. Also, I want to make a feature for myself, in between. Something...more surrealist cinema. I've never made a feature and I suspect this would be a nice "B" project that I can hammer at while I do the "A" ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment