Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Eddie Van Halen R.I.P

What a shit show 2020 has been.
We lose a guitar legend Eddie Van Halen to throat cancer at 65.

I really loved early to late 90's Van Halen. Anthem rock. A shredding guitar that is unmistakable.

Now rock gods aging and dying in my lifetime feels odd to me. I understand Jimi Hendrix. I sort of understand Stevie Ray Vaughn. But when someone of Eddie's stature passes away from early elderly age, somehow it sucks a little more.
A lot has been said about his early days. The hard rock, partying and banging earlier hot 80's chick Valerie Bertinelli. But much more can be said about his music. A man who stayed really under the radar, considering his enormous talent and ego. Well earned arrogance in having a band named after you. Little is known about brother, who also played in the band. But Eddie, despite not being a singer, out shined the flamboyant David Lee Roth and remained stoic to the Sammy Hagar years. To me, Van Halen epitomized late 70's/early 80's rock. Big hair, big sound.

This also reminds us that regardless of fame and wealth, one must leave a lasting legacy on the Earth we exists on in this consciousness. Which doesn't mean being a colossal douche. It means making a difference to one person. It means the world. Though he wasn't a guitarist I ever wanted to emulate (he was incredible shredder that was too "produced" for my taste) I know for a fact he made a difference to many future axe grinders.
See you on the rock heaven side, Mr. Van Halen.

No comments:

Post a Comment