Monday, September 14, 2020

"You Can Act Like A Maaaaan"

A "Godfather" moment when Vito Corleone tells his godson to stop crying. The guy is in his 30's, fucked up and wants someone to clean up his problems. Vito goes on to mock his crying. As he is a child that cannot tuck his spine in and face a cruel world.

My neighbor who lives upstairs for me is similar to this crying slob. He worked in post production, had a pretty lucrative life and then was edged out by technology. A cautionary tale to me to say the least. He recently got into a car accident to which I helped him get his car back to the lot. Then the whining started. This is an example...cliched, but still truth...
"why is everything bad happening to me now?"

Yes, he spoke these words out loud. I didn't want to backhand him and tell him he's a stubborn bigot who refuses to allow some of his old man thoughts go about society. I am on that road as well and need to curb it NOW.
You see, the man simply does not fucking listen. I am younger, but to help him navigate him through the awful garbage of his life now, I point out things that he could improve. He doesn't have technology to speak of. Which I do NOT ever want to suggest having. But in this case, it made sense. His stance "They git ya' every damn chance they get." He does everything through check or mail. Which, again, is logically smarter, but he refuses. Then when bad things happen, all he can do is whine. And WHINE he does.
Because I recently got into an accident myself, he came over to ask for advice. So I thought. Instead, he wanted to whine. I suggested getting a lawyer as they work on contingency. Mine did anyway. And gave him a referral. Didn't call. Now he is getting letters that tell him to sign releases or give statements and so on and so forth. The moron doesn't stop to think all this would go away if he started with a lawyer. Though, bodily injury lawyers DO NOT make money off your property damage. So he's screwed there. Since he doesn't want to take the time it took me (a year) to go through physical therapy so they have a record of costs to give to insurance.

Here's the thing, the other driver who hit him took complete responsibility. And as he is negotiating with the insurance to get property and bodily injury taken care of, he simply is paranoid about how he is about to be fleeced by them. Yep. Not a surprise this guy is an absolute failure at life and most likely will die alone being miserable about his lot in life, because everything is everyone's fault but his own.

I am petrified I will become this person. That I simply won't listen when people suggest that my archaic ideas are...outdated. Specifically with cinema (which they sort of are already). That I am steadfast in my belief that celluloid serves a purpose and must be preserved. That craft and art mean something. I mean, I do have a smart phone and such so that's different.
But I wonder how a man gets to be over his 60's and is this big of a loser. The guy I play golf with is similar. He is over 60 now and has told me he regrets never putting things aside for retirement. That's 6 years away. Now he doles out advice as well. Because, well, his life is fucked. His wife seems to have these odd jobs here and there. And I suspect he use to fleece production companies on location. Lesson here: don't ever be a scammer. Don't live your life as a scammer. Don't even remotely come off as a scammer. You will only scam yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment