Saturday, May 15, 2021

I Beat This Town

 I left Los Angeles in 1993. Yeah, I think I've told this story plenty.

But I knew I'd come back. Because this fucking town is like that thorn in your side that you need removed.

I came back for graduate school and I earned my Masters degree. Many people continue to wonder about that.

What I can tell you is this...

...It is not what I can recommend for everyone.

It is a sacrifice I don't want anyone to deal with. I left a great girl, a great family and have let time slip away from those loved ones. Most of you probably left because you don't have any of that. Or don't have ties to good people. I came from a great town that has built up and now can sustain filmmakers.

That's the best part of the democratization of filmmaking. People...don't...need...Hollywood.

In fact, anywhere is better to make movies. Though the studios are still here and if you seek out the "traditional" path of Hollywood, it exists if you build it yourself. It doesn't mean you have to pay inflated prices on rent to do so.

It also means you don't have to suffer through struggle to do so.

Everyone will support you, IF you want it.

Stubborn people tend to think Hollywood is the place you need to be. Completely understand. We've had over 100 years of indoctrination that this is the center of entertainment. In theory...yes. But in practical sense, it will only hinder you.

For me, at the time, there was no other option. All the gear and technology was here. It's not anymore. And it probably makes the the big dogs paranoid. For me, I did conquer this town because I live a great life.

For those still in this town who struggle, I pity the mindset. And also applaud your stubborn-ness. Your dreams exceed your common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment