Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Coming Back To Hollywood

 I have a friend who just left Los Angeles. And went back home.

Her parents are ailing and I completely understand. She also ran out of money.

I had a conversation with her about this place. And tried to tell her there are MANY other places that provide the validation of her talents. And nicer folk. Here, she struggled. Couldn't make real money to survive properly.

She will be there for a while. But then something she said TRULY baffled me: She wants to come back to California.

Now...look, I don't know the misery to which town you grew up in, MOST of you who can't shake this fucking town. But if you know the odds of your career, haven't done anything of merit and struggle to get by...THIS fucking place isn't for you.

Life is too short to be this way. Not enjoying life in full. Don't come back, you idiots. Once you are out of here...freedom is anywhere but here.

Think about the common sense part of this... you COULD NOT survive on the shitty jobs you do to live. You are not willing to live under some standards (which is typically a young person mentality). You suffer in a place that doesn't allow you to create. And you still want to come back? Jesus, that's dumb.

For the weather, I get it. Cold weather sucks.

I knew someone who disappeared for a while and came back. Which is so boneheaded, considering they really didn't have anything to come back to. Or was leaving a really shitty situation from "back home"

Now you idiots probably are wondering what I'm still doing here. Here's a clue:

I can afford to live here.

I make a decent living...living.

I enjoy doing things to spite the industry. I do not suffer to make my films. By all metric, I should be a colossal failure. Which I'm not. Everything is comfortable. I am NOT rich by any means, but don't worry as I use to.

Clearly the decision making for me to stay here makes more sense than yours to come back.

Any way, again, I don't know what misery you come from. I can tell you this. If everything I worked for is lost to the hands of fate and I left for my hometown, I would make the best of it there. There are good people where I come from. Those of you who have nothing in your home town to get back to, or have people whom you want to work with...it's you, not them. I would desperately try to create my own industry there (which it has built up since I left).

There are great stories to tell. And frankly, Los Angeles/Hollywood hobbles your brain into activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment