Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Do You Know What You Want To Do?

If you ask anyone over the age of 60 if they know what they wanted to do with their lives, the question itself is insulting. Particularly when you realize what they are doing isn't what they wanted to do. Then they throw something out like "no one gets to do what they want."
While there is truth to that, there are no specifics.
I am doing what I wanted to do since I was 8 years old and I saw "The Fox and The Hound" "Snow White" and "Herbie Rides Again"
I'm not THAT old. These were re-releases that went to our cinema.
What I'm getting at is, I know I'll be working in movies in some capacity regardless of whether or not anyone gives me permission, because it doesn't require permission.
If it is your natural inclination to tell stories through a filmed medium, that is your calling. The people who throw these sad phrases like "no one gets to do what they want" probably gave up a long time ago. I sometimes pity them because you know a lot of things derailed them. Tragedies, I would say. Or sacrifices. Many won't admit it. Such as having a family.
I don't have a family that I need to support. I can't imagine if I did. Yes, this sounds selfish. But it's also the way filmmakers often function. Because resources get depleted (mostly energy), it's near impossible to juggle your free brain time. The ones who have and have become successful (I've seen it)...tend to let one or the other fall by the wayside. It's hard enough to have free time for yourself to get your bearings.

Here's what I can tell you about life...it is so very short. And meant to be made shorter every day. If you are not pursuing the best life you want, and a good life without taking on the burdens of others, you are shortchanging every minute you breathe. A lot of the older people are now at a point of "why bother?" When you die and made your swan song, most end up in a bargain bin and forgotten. Guess what...that experience and product wasn't made for the public...if you cared and if you loved what you did...that was for you.

Too many people, and I am really tired of it, shit on themselves for what they make. Perhaps it's humble bragging, which many insecure people do a lot, but know that it isn't necessarily "great" you're aiming for but...you made out okay. The point of most of these projects is the event themselves. Many people will tell you that "it is STILL a business" Yes, but here's something that I want you all to put into your mind, because it really will uplift you on the worse days...
"money isn't about me, it's about other people"

Money does nothing for you in terms of life satisfaction. It buys things that give you false status. This is fleeting. It will buy you comfort, which life is not. And it will buy you friends. Because they will want to know your secret. And let me reiterate "money isn't about me, it's about other people."
Money impresses those who care about it, or believe it will give them happiness. What does it actually do except make people envious of you. Even if they share in your wealth. Many become lethargic. Or chase more money. It brings comfort to other people because other people have now created their own lives that require it.
For example...a friend who has to get his house painted needs money to paint it. Or he can do it himself. Or you could pay for someone to do it, because it makes you feel good about it. But you can't buy this friendship. Friendship is helping him paint that house. And drinking some cold ones after. This is an experience and less money is involved. The more of this green stuff you have, the less you want to trouble yourself with these things.

Now, I'm not lecturing anyone about the evils of money. It's not evil, it's an exchange that people understand. And I am not rich or wealthy by any means, but I am comfortable now (took a while). At the same time though I am sure many people think me stupid for not seeing the struggle most others have to make ends meet.
I'm not ignorant to it. I understand, but there is value in hope. As in "I hope I can eat this week" or "I hope my car starts" or "I hope they don't evict me" I've been there. And these are moments you look back on, not sideways.

What I'm trying to say as that chasing money cannot surpass your passion for making films. Or acting in films. There are daily reminders of what a total sacrifice can be (screaming homeless people). But they are also ones that made poor decisions (most based on addiction or genetics). I would hope you chase the thing you want to do in life before it gets too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment