Sunday, June 2, 2019

The Hollywood Sheen

On my last trip home to Cincinnati, a friend of mine and I went to hang out at an upscale bar/restaurant. The pretty bartender behind the counter greeted us warmly. My friend playing wingman decided to share with her that I'd just come in from Hollywood, California. Because Van Nuys is just too vague.
He also started puffing up my stats of working on high profile movies. To which my mind was capturing maybe a small bit of the conversation, since it goes to the next big question "What DO you do?"
I am not a producer or director. So that's not glamorous. Nor am I an actor. I work in post production. And to explain what I do is met with a blank stare. Which is pretty much the look I got. In fact, prior to the resume dump from my buddy, it was a blank look regardless.
Which got me thinking...
America today could give a flying fuck about Hollywood. UNLESS, your name is Leo, Brad or George (which by the way, everyone in Cincinnati has a Clooney story. He is loved there and almost played for the Reds. As did Charlie Sheen, by the way).

There aren't stars anymore. And I know I keep beating this drum, but I think we know too much about big named actors now and we don't like it.
The issue is that everyone (in our most narcissistic state) is a star in their own right. You write a blog, you are a star. You have a big ass (star). You model for some obscure skater clothing line (star). And so if there are so many stars, there isn't enough...interest.

Sure there still are people of caliber that drives people wild. Tom Cruise still rocks it. As does The Rock. But they may never reach legendary status (which is some circles would argue, the young folk wouldn't know Humphrey Bogart if he sat on their faces). There are no Marilyn Monroes, or James Deans...because media over-saturates them ad nauseum. Not that we didn't care about the stars personal lives back then. Babies being born, divorces, death. But it seemed much more civil. As in we kept out distance. But with the information at your fingertips, the sense of "fanboy'ing out" just doesn't seem to hold its value. I remember when "Alien 3" came out, I got every "Fangoria" and sci-fi mags I could get because I crushed on Sigourney Weaver. I don't think the younger people have to go to those lengths as much. And thus..hold no value.

I think the bartender seemed to also be incredulous to how things are made as well (or don't care). There isn't glamour like there use to be. To her, a simple blurb in some celebrity blog fulfills her need of Hollywood. I could explain the nuts and bolts, but that isn't hot.

It was telling only because not but 10 years ago, the mention of even being in Los Angeles working in movies to the average Midwesterner meant something. With questions to follow. Now it is met with a shrug. I often question how many of us went into the movie business for the fame. Or at least, as my friend would say, cracked the lines of belonging somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment