Monday, March 11, 2019

Women Film Crew Members

A lot has been said lately about female empowerment in the entertainment field ever since Brie Larson told the press that she didn't care what a certain demographic felt about a specific type of movie. This is retarded, considering half the demographic go to the movies. And to make matters worse, she targeted a specific color. There is no defense for that, except that some are giving her an excuse to have that perspective under...good intentions?
Here's the deal, I've always used a female cinematographer since my days in film school. The reason? BECAUSE of the exclusivity of the field, women tend to work harder on set, be more prepared and alert than men. I am living proof, since I took my opportunities for granted. Women who get into the crew side of filmmaking have a strong ambition. More than any other field, I'd wager. Since it's competitive to begin with. So if I were Brie Larson my comment about movies such as "Wrinkle In Time" would be "look, Ava (the director) is both a woman director who happens to be Black. In our minds, that person has to work five times as hard to make a project that the public wants to see. Because, in fact, most of the hypocritical industry wants us to fail so they can go back to the status quo. Let it be judged by the crowd that both loved the book or is curious about it's adaption. And don't go because it's driven by women, go because it supports literacy. Something, in this technological world, we desperately need."

That was better than making an odd statement about how she didn't care what White male journalist think about movies made by women.

Now a few may be thinking that I only work with women cinematographers rather than men because I can control them. NOT! It's always a collaboration here. A great idea is a great idea. Yes, there are sometimes a woman won't know the cinema reference I may be making (I actually think that's more age than gender) but for the most part, women have an eye for design. And as I've argued in the past, cinematography is about 80% composition. To me, a woman's perspective seems to have a lighter touch than a man's (who, incidentally, have all become late afternoon grim dark silhouetted clones).
I also think a woman's visual voice isn't really seen as much. There are, I believe, five female cinematographers in the ASC (guild for director of photography). In this history, so wrong. Not that I advocate for more based on gender, but that I would encourage more women to shoot. Specifically film. Hmm...now there's an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment