Thursday, January 3, 2019

Pre-Production





I spent today driving all over the San Fernando Valley getting knick-knacks for my newest episode of "The Valley"...fancy that.
The coolest thing I have to say is that the Valley is chock full of interesting movie stores. The likes of which probably won't exist in any other city. When I say "movie stores" I mean prop houses, monster make-up equipment shops, model building, practical effects and...lighting and grip. All in the Valley. Did you know...Industrial Light and Magic started out in Van Nuys, California.

So, yeah, I bad mouth Los Angeles, but it is one of the perks. The downside? Everything is fucking expensive. Yes, much like your locations, these motherfuckers out here up-charge everything. And then you have to have everything insured. While I get that vintage stuff comes at a price and that it's near impossible to replace, I can't get behind that a salt and pepper shaker costs $75 to rent (that's their minimum).

The other thing...people in the movie biz are shady. I get really nervous lending out my shit as well. So, most of the time I'm out looking at Goodwill stores. The other one good thing I will say about prop rental places...you can return the stuff. Yes, it costs more, but it makes more sense than turning your place into a junkyard. These places are a museum of stuff really. And if you spend time walking through, actually pretty interesting pop culture history.

No comments:

Post a Comment