Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Patronizing Rich People

I graduated from a public high school which had the richest families in Ohio. One would question why rich folk decided to send their kids to public school instead of the nearby private school, which I can only explain...it was free.
What I notice now, as I see more and more of their children grow up, are the little things they do for society. Much of how I knew them, were self-centered bitter argumentative...well, entitled Gen-Xers. Today, crusaders for the under represented. Perhaps they feel it is their duty to do so. Maybe it's because they are atoning for bad behavior. I faced this ire, as my parents had zero interest in "keeping up with the Joneses." They were straight middle class and content with the small plot of land.
I am always fascinated by the rich who do things for the poor. Or crusade for the down trodden, how little they understand them. If you observe, the rich and poor aren't any happier or sadder, they learn to cope differently. A poor person finds existence part of the daily routine, whereas a rich person can't go through a day without spending money on something frivolous. Obviously this is a blanket statement. But I realize, that poor people tend not to fully accept charity and rich people are willing to take all charity (within the guidelines of pride and law). Then comes the rich people who do charity work. Or send out statements of support for the down trodden. This amuses me, because of some of the hypocrisy involved. Perhaps it's my own trauma of having faced teens when they were at their richest and selfish but they were a pack of exclusive nuts.

Though it brings me back to a "30 Rock" episode where Tina Fey's character goes to her high school reunion believing herself to be bullied, but ends up she was an elitist snob.

Either way, now that we are in our 40's...it amuses me how most of them are now fighting against the evils of President Donald Trump. For what reason? I can only guess they really didn't have that great childhood as depicted in their wealth. That now they use their inheritance to spread more comforts in whom they believe to be more oppressed, in order to fight back at their own parents (whom seemed to be much more interested in materialism...it WAS the 80's). I think there is a great deal of guilt that one is born rich rather than earning it. I recall I had a friend who drove a BMW or a Range Rover, but he never held a school job (as I did in my parents' Buick Century). Though one would believe as the forgotten middle class that I sound bitter by this. I'm not. I'm confused as to why they continue to pretend they have any clue as to who really is the oppressed group. That it is too simple to point out to a person of color and assume they are unhappy because of the President who appears to be a bigot. Or that one cannot defend themselves because rich people were able to afford college and, therefore, have intelligence to teach the world. What books never teach is widsom.

No comments:

Post a Comment