Thursday, May 1, 2014

Miserable Hollywood Living

I've been reading a tell-all lately that basically has my guts wrenching from the awful things that have been told in it. Just the depravity of humanity that would disgust the most hardened criminal. This is the mirror that is held up to Hollywood. Now before you get all in arms about the sickness that prevails within us, let me assure you, this is not only reserved for this generation...oh no dear readers. This is in fact an on-going never changing piss-pot-hole where if you have any modicum of self-worth, you must check it at the door. Because the irrational is normal. And if you question the looney bin, you are obviously not a part of it.

This book aptly titled "The Devil's Guide To Hollywood" written by the schlockmeister, fellow Ohioan, Joe Eszterhas.

I believe, the whole sense of it is a tongue-in-cheek dissection of the miseries you take on when you play in the pissed in sandbox. What we think we realize we know, we don't. Granted, he speaks from a screenwriter's point of view, which happens to always be at the bottom of someone's shoe. But those shoes are expensive and you're the wheel that greases it.

Now a lot of it is anecdotal. Very telling of a tell-all in that he doesn't mince words. And, more often than not, he calls out specific names. Very famous names that do very infamous things. And it's heartbreaking. Your heroes will constantly be dragged thru the coals. Guess what?...you can either take the fact that they are flawed broken human beings and enjoy their craft, or judge them harshly for the life they lived. The old saying goes "sometimes, it's not a good thing to meet your heroes." It never dawned on me why. But then it struck. Heroes are suppose to be idealized. The minute they are real...they die. And who wants to live up to some snot nose who believes you should behave a certain way. If I were a person like...say...Superman, I'd start to resent humanity for putting ridiculous expectations on me. Fuck them. To be fair...I'm not a space alien who wants to be accepted.

Anyway, it just got me down lately. Mostly because I like to think I can sidestep the debauchery of Hollywood. I've seen enough, just not at the level that means succeeding in this cesspool.

No comments:

Post a Comment