Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Plenty Of Fish

Hey friends,
Just waiting at your local Starbucks for a date I set up with someone I met on a site called "Plenty Of Fish". It's been around for a while, so a lot of you will know their deal. Some people call it plenty of flakes or plenty of fatties. I'm not sure what to expect. It's a strange thing. Online dating.

I remember creating a profile a few years back. Very few responses. My sister once told me that the whole ordeal is a numbers thing. The more you send out the more response you may get. Duh!

Well, that may sound obvious, and maybe I wasn't really absorbing what she was saying. But she didn't mean send out ten and you get eight back. She was thinking hundreds. I mean, selective carpet bombing. AND to boot, you have to know your type. I really don't know what my type is. I've gone out with a variety. I think if she said "yes" that's my type. That's right. The one who accepted is obviously my type. You would think at 37 one would know their type by now. But I'm not sure. I'd just like someone who isn't annoying and is pleasant to look at. It's not a tall order, but in Los Angeles it may as well be a needle and a haystack.

That reminds me, this city is not big...per se. But...and big but...WE are really spread out. What that means is that in order to find someone and have any hope of spending any time with them, you have to more or less live within a five mile radius. Otherwise, the aggravation may not be worth the trouble.

So far, my luck on the site has been hit or miss. I've dropped notes on women I thought would make a connection. No response. I've attempted a chat. Shot down. Rejection online is slightly better. I mean, marginally. I think it is easier simply because you don't see their expression as they click past your profile. I can only imagine a level of disgust, but that's only in my mind.

So off I go to meet up with Ange. Not sure who spells their name like that. Hope it's not a guy messing with me. Which seems to happen. Or a really old lady. Which I'm told also happens. We can only cast that line into the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment