Monday, August 30, 2021

Hollywood Bully

I've never been bullied on a film set. I had too much dignity to allow that. Also, have always stood my ground. I remember back in Ohio, during the Rodney King riots that drifted to Cincinnati (for soome reason) a group of Black teens were walking in a supermarket parking lot (I was a teen during this time too). They told me to go back to China. I told them to go back to Africa. Weird that I wasn't even scared. I guess when you're young you don't know consequences or ramifications. When you first start out on a film set you are super green. The people who spent a lot of time on set know this and use it to sometimes take advantage of the situation. People on film seta are A) bored B) need something to do For the Hollywood bully, they mostly take place in the office. The movie "Swimming With Sharks" illustrates it well. I am surprised more producers aren't murdered. Or tied to a chair and beaten. You have to understand, thug bully producers like Harvey Weinstein rely on desperate people. If you are desperate for the business, they want you to prove how desperate. You know sick that is? To be fair, I've done my own share of bullying. Because when I was younger and drunker, I felt the obstacle it took to get me where I was someone else will have to go through it. And when someone else is in your satellite and they seem to have an idealistic viewpoint of the industry, you want to cut them down to size. Most young people do. They think they will be the first to conquer it. Hollywood isn't a place you conquer. It is a place were the sytem bullies you into considering it a job. And the faster you learn it, the easier it gets. Actors and Directors share a similar confusion when they start out. "Why doesn't anyone see my talent?" Or they try to fake confidence. People here who've worked for a very long time can smell that. The trick isn't to pretend like you know everything. The trick is to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment