Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Co-Workers

I work at a film post facility where the people who end up there are technicians.
I do have one issue with people who get into the film industry. People who don't care how they're made, only THEIR job. And people who never had aspirations to work in movies and stumbled on it.
The latter is more common.
I think (and keep in mind most people in post are in their 50's) got into movies to make movies in some way. But these guys seem to come from one post house to the next. None have worked on production. And, quite frankly, happy to be button pushers.
They rankle me a lot because they don't research their craft. Wait, step back, don't even see it as craft. It's a job. To support their family.
So I typically have blow ups with them. Because it's frustrating being a person who cares how these things are made, only to be met with a dismissive nod.

A lot of what I am telling you is far more important than what they are talking about. I am often ignored, for a lot of reasons, MOSTLY due to age. They don't take me seriously because I don't "act" seriously. Lesson to be learned there. It's due to my own way of talking to allows people to think they are chums with me. In my, I am their superior. Not because of any arrogance. But because they are determined to be ignorant.

A couple of people, I can tell, sneak in a conversation with me. Because they know what I do. Some use it against me ("how's that little movie you're working on?"). These types are massive losers. Because they're really frustrated at the work they churn out, because they know it isn't going anywhere. This is why I like teaching. Young people are naive but ambitious. As I've always said, I'd hire a person with less experience and a joy of cinema then some very experienced person who hates every minute of being on set (me).

No comments:

Post a Comment