Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Merry Christmas You Fools!

Greetings from the wonderful world of the Valley.
And Merry Christmas. Sorry this day is reserved for Jesus. So take all that other shit and find a different day. Better yet, go to work if you don't love Jesus.
Just joshing folks. Today is a day of reflection. Lately I've been reflecting on a life that trickles away. All of our lives do.
What we want to do is leave a small mark in this world, as a friend once told me. So that sometime down the line, a teacher would point to your craft and study it. There is no higher honor.
Someone once told me that my student thesis film was still shown to incoming graduate students as to the type of films that can be made at film school. That was really nice to hear, but a massive kick to my ego. Which is never good. Because of my, already, inflated head.
I'm opinionated for sure.
But, also, discussions have turned to how you survive in Los Angeles.
I ran into a friend at the gym a few days ago, and he's from Texas. He came out here to body build. INCREDIBLY nice dude. We chatted about how we ever survived Los Angeles (been out here 20 years now, he had only been out there 5). He told me it took him 2 years to get adjusted to the ups and downs of Los Angeles. I professed that I've hated it then, and I hate it now.

So...you probably are wondering why I am still here. Simple. It makes me money.
Money that sustains living a comfortable life. Quiet and content.
The downside, it makes me have time to think useless what most of us in the film business are.

Not because we're physically useless, but when end comes, everything goes to zero. Think about that...remember going to the zoo on a elementary school field trip? Erased.
I think a lot of older people ponder this. What is it all mean anyway? This was made a LOT more apparent by my car accident. The line in Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven" How when a man dies, it's everything he has and everything he's ever going to have. Zep. A big period at the end of that sentence.
And it doesn't help as you look around and see and hear people who have died. Do you ever consider them lucky? To know the universal question about life after death. To have peace from some physical or emotional pain. These are thing people like...oh say...Jack Lemmon does not worry about. He's gone. And others who have gone.

That said, I think most of us build lives comfortable enough for us to live comfortably. That's weird to consider if we're always on a ticking clock. And we feel this in our daily lives. So we distract ourselves with things until that dotted period. Which could come minutes or seconds after I finish writing th---

Just kidding. Anyway, let pettiness go. It's a natural reaction to do so, but let things go (I'm mostly saying this to myself) relax and let others live their own way as well.
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment