Saturday, September 17, 2011

Craig's List And Equipment

shopping on Craig's List Face

Been shopping online lately for a home gym. Perhaps I'd get to a point where I just ditch the gym membership. I know...I know...I only pay $14.60/month. But that's $175.20 a year. Yes, I used a stinking calculator to get that sum. My mom could do this multiplication in her head. I'm not joking. She's like an abacus. When I was a kid, I use to get drilled with simple math. She'd get real clever. She'd put it in real world situations.

Mom: Let's say you're going to buy those stupid Garbage Pail Kids you like so much. Each pack costs 50 cents. Tax is 5% in Ohio. You give the clerk $3.00 how much change do you get back?

Me: (hem-haw for the next five minutes-Mom tapping her finger on table, waiting impatiently) Um...the history of Garbage Pail Kids is an interesting one...

Mom would just shake her head in disbelief. How can an Asian child be so clueless to math. To put it in real world situations is the so practical too But I don't have that mind like her. My mind remembers numbers in sequences, years, dates and names. Some of my friends are mesmerized by how I can remember barcodes sometimes. I'm not sure where that comes from since I can't remember a word after I look at it a few times. I can remember a sequence of shots on a camera report we shot on a specific day. It's like I'm Rain Man. Except in Vegas, I'd think I lost all my money That reminds me, one time I was playing poker with some college buddies. I kept winning and didn't even know it. The other people had to tell me. I don't know what cards do what. Whatever. The game sucks anyway.

When I was a kid, I use to read my parents' English language books. It was fascinating. The books were grossly outdated, since I can't remember the last time I saw an Automat. Or Dad sitting at home smoking a pipe in slippers while the mom was baking a roast in a new invention called an convection oven. My reality was my Dad working until late into the night while I ate leftovers from whatever was in the fridge. I developed a high school drinking habit on his Michelob. Not even sure they even make that beer anymore. Maybe for my headache I can take Anacin.

Shopping for weight equipment on Craig's List, I think, is so ingenious I'm surprised I didn't think of it sooner. Here we have a group of people who are so angry and frustrated with their fitness equipment I wouldn't be surprised if you could get them to pay you to take it. You know what I see more than anything? (surprised answer)

Bowflex machines. If you've ever seen these things...it's like...medieval:
The Fitness Inquisition
I think the people buy these contraptions out of utter confusion. I mean, what do you exactly do here...you sit in that chair and...maybe order it to burn your fat. Those cables look vicious. Resistance without weights, I reckon. But isn't that what resistance bands do...for maybe a tenth of the price?

I wonder if it wasn't like a wedding gift. Like the "in" thing for that season of nuptials was a Bowflex machine. Anyone who puts it in their registry deserves a crappy honeymoon. Yeah, I said it. Requesting this as a gift is like giving your wife cookware for your anniversary. Actually, I'd like to get a good non-stick pan.

I digress, people buy all this hardware and just never get around to using it. Now...maybe I have committed a portion of my life to feeling more fit, but...fitness gear is expensive. I have no idea why other than I compare it to film/photography gear. They expect the gear is suppose to make money. Like a kettlebell would be for your cross fit gym. It pays for itself. I notice on CL they do have a lot of gyms that seem to have closed doors and you're getting a fire sale. BONUS! I mean, I hate to sound like a vulture but that's good pickin'.

Thing about dumbbells and weights...these things are never going to be destroyed. They do seem to follow people from place to place. Sometimes it gets passed down from generation to generation. So the price no longer seems like a factor. A weight bench, if treated right seems to have its place in most guy's garage. That's another thing. I get the feeling most guys have a gym dream similar to a bar dream. I've always wanted to own a bar. Just a place to hang out and drink and play pinball. And watch sports and do karaoke. I think most guys have this vision of a home gym too. They want that special place in their home to take out frustrations. Meanwhile get ripped. Never happens. Two reasons:

A) it's too convenient. That home gym gear will be there. So you walk past it every day as it mocks you. Until you finally cover it with an afghan your granny knitted. Now it's art. Look. exercise can be done anywhere. Hell, if you ride the bus or subway you can do pull ups on the bars. Try it and tell me how much cardio you get done running from the fuzz.

B) It becomes clutter. You know what makes a great place to put your baseball trophies? Something flat and sturdy. Like a bench perhaps? You can't believe how many garages I visit that people have to move storage boxes off the workout bench. Never occurred to them that maybe a table would've been cheaper.

This is such a great opportunity if you haven't investigated yet. HOWEVER, I warn you...if you buy it...use it. Actually, when you purchase this used gym equipment, look in your rearview mirror and check out the people you just bought this from...they cheering? Hi-fiving each other? Laughing and pointing at your car pulling away? Know why?...you just inherited their headaches. So prove them wrong and get fit with the gear they never could. Because you just gave it a good home. Get the last laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment