Monday, November 22, 2021

The Reboot

I once made an episodic. And never promoted it. Strangely enough, people have reached out, curious as to what happened to it and where it would go. I have no aspirations to "make it" in Hollywood. And it's not because I'm bitter. I could care less. Fame and fortune has never been on my radar. I just liked making shit, when I felt like it. Never wanted to make anything that caters to anyone. If the content spoke to anyone, so be it. I've never been going with the tides either. I hate the tides, to be honest. It's a battle that is exhaustive. But, there is freedom. I consider myself incredibly lucky and successful. And if I impart any wisdom to anyone who is trying to survive, it's that you are doing the correct thing by making things on your own terms. Don't follow the crowd, regardless of what people tell you. And that is the difficult part. A lot of you will be pulled in so many directions. Because everyone has an opinion. Some of them valid. Most of them really wrong. No one really gave me advice about this business that ever made it. The longer you're here the more you realize there is no real advice. But I will say this...a young man had asked me what he should do. He is from a small town in the middle of nowhere and I opened a door for him to do work here in Los Angeles. I simply said "stay consistent." The most boring dumbest part of earning your freedom is to stay doing what you want to do. If you hop around too much, you will never get a foothold. I am probably not the best person to use as an example, since I'm pulled in different places. And my attention wanes. But I've stayed consistent. In terms of sticking it out. It's a marathon not a sprint. Many people will cash out early. Because they're not focused. By focus, it doesn't mean sidetracking everything about your life so you can work in Hollywood. Quite different. Don't hurt yourself through the suffering you subject yourself to "work." For me, it took a while. If I look back at all the choices I made, it makes me cringe. Some dumb things. Some lonely places. So abandoning a project or idea was easy. But I plan on rebooting a series that I'd been making. A way to revitalize a concept I'd been wanting to execute. Regardless of who is involve or what may derail it. Nothing should ever derail a strong idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment