Saturday, September 18, 2021

Norm MacDonald

No one had a clue Norm was ill. And when he died, it actually took me by surprise. I did suspect something was odd when he was doing his half-ass podcast that he seemed to be much more spiritual than I was expecting. Talking about God a lot. And really (quietly) mocking those who didn't believe in a higher being. Perhaps he knew his time was limited. But he never told anyone about his illness. Guy like Norm doesn't want your pity. I followed Norm throughout his career, because he was brutally honest about...common sense. He considered much of what he saw of our society as comedically silly. Particularly the people of the "cancel culture" I think because he found it odd that talking shit and laughing about it somehow became taboo. Perhaps he knew he was not to be on this planet long. He also meant a lot to me because in one of the darkest moments of my life, his sardonic silly sense of humor made me feel better about...everything. He understood the ridiculousness of life. And mocked its absurdity. With a glint in his eye, he often didn't know his true power and gift. Things he said just made you laugh your nuts off...for instance... on Liberace "you kick that dude in the ass, a hundred dicks fall out" Shit, that makes me laugh. Yes, it's a VERY outdated reference but for "old coals" like me, we get what humor use to be like. Working class humor, really. These days comedians seem to take themselves way too seriously. Norm didn't seem to want girls, money or fame. He just wanted to make observations about daily life that when seen in its most obvious terms, makes us laugh. Much like "The Three Stooges" I doubt many women found him funny. He never found women funny, so it worked out. There is the ability to make dudes laugh that transcends the mamby jahamby nature of where we are in 2021. To me, his humor made it alright to be a dude. I LOVED that the phony entertainment business had no control over him. I'm sure most comedians looked up to him because he said whatever the fuck he wanted with no reprisal. As I've said in the past, Norm seemed like an old prospector who came out of them mines saw society and made his observation. I honestly feel like I lost a good friend. I think Norm and I would get along. He was a true original.

No comments:

Post a Comment