Monday, July 15, 2013

George Zimmerman Cleared

I'd like to reiterate that I am in no way a political person. Most people could care less what I think about most of these subjects. But this one particular case got me thinking deeply about the fabric of America.

When I was first introduced to this country, it was a place where most people would swim through shark infested waters to gain the opportunities my native country didn't possess. The thought was that ANYTHING was possible. You can become anyone and do anything. While I find this to still to be true (relative to other countries) I find myself absolutely confused as to how justice can work for some, and not for others.

I really don't want to spread facts, since I'm sure most of what I've read is colored by some level of exaggeration, but I have to believe, in this day and age, when one person shoots another person we have to believe there is justifiable homicide. What we so got away from is just basic common sense. Much like O.J. We just let the letter of the law dictate to us how the outcome would come about. To me, this is just scary. The world I live in now doesn't want us to succeed at life. We've convicted/exonerated Zimmerman before he was even tried. How could it possibly be that he would get a fair trial. The facts are, he shot someone who they got into an altercation with. The kid died. I'm not sure how much more clear we can get on that. Then, as a defense which is to offer him the best effort possible, hid behind the "Stand Your Ground" law. Now...I get how this law was enacted. IF someone was to put your life in danger, I can see how you could've done what it took to protect yourself. Here's a kid walking to the market to get some candy. The kid wasn't going out looking to get into an altercation. It just happened. And he ends up dead.

I dunno about you, but if a stranger came up to me and didn't identify himself, I'd be defending myself. So, where does standing your ground protect? It's all so confusing and incendiary, so I'll stop there. But I will say...I don't like that Zimmerman walked away, cleared of the charges, but I will say he is going to be punished worse out of prison than in prison. By the media. By the public. By the world. He will have to wear the fate of that terrible night with him forever. I don't think there is punishment enough to undo that.

No comments:

Post a Comment