Saturday, May 26, 2012

Leo Carillo Fat Burner

One of the things that allows you to drop a LOT of weight, is to not be really aware that you are working out. Lauren and I arrived at Leo Carillo State Beach. Armed with my 35 lb. Arriflex 2C camera, tripod and belt battery, we set out to find the sea cave the beach is known for.

Off the bat, I started to feel my left shoulder, for which I was hauling the gear with start to burn. Didn't notice it, as I was focused on the shoot that I was trying to balance myself against the very dry sand. Sand gives. There were times I could feel my feet sinking. But I couldn't allow sand to reach the camera.

Sand is awesome. It's just so loose. It forces your body to get stabilized. Cutting to the deepest part of your core. Meanwhile, I have all this gear and the balancing act becomes more amped up. What I love most about it is that I was more concerned with finding this sea cave than whether or not I was "working out". We climbed rocks with the gear. Ran from waves. Jumped off rocks. Climbed up and down stairs. Just kept moving. On the drive back, I could barely lift my arms. I hadn't noticed that we'd spent 3 hours outside negotiating the waves, climbing dunes, sand bars, dirt paths. My legs were Jello. Felt like someone punched me repeatedly in the lower back. My feet were damp. I felt nauseous. But it felt like a workout.

We found the cave. It was amazing. Small, but still beautiful in that it exists in Los Angeles.

The next day, we both were sore. I couldn't move most of my body. Lauren seemed like she was a car wreck as well. But the footage came back, and I'm happy to have gotten some great material. I'll post the spot in a future blog, but for now, he's some stills from the shoot:






No comments:

Post a Comment