Wednesday, August 10, 2011

If You Break It We Can Fix It

Remember how flexible we were when we were kids?

Ben and Kayla


Man, I remember taking a few tumbles down a hill in heavily wooded forest area running into trees. This is how we played Army. No surrender. No retreat. And we really did believe if we couldn't evade "the enemy" a concussion or being permanently maimed was the better alternative. In my late 30's I don't even want to think about injuries. The powers that be don't want to repair whatever it is I just did to myself. I'm probably seen as a liability. And they'd rather run a triage on people who have real problems. Unless I have a rebar stuck in my forehead, I really shouldn't bother people. A ten year old doesn't think about co-pays, HMOs or being dropped from medical insurance. I think about rebars and foreheads.

Why can't we be kids again? Wildly flailing our arms as we take the beach of Normandy. Or dodge bullets by the calvary (being the darkest in my neighborhood guess who was always the Indian?). We didn't think about it, but that's cardio. Darting across fields. Cartwheeling down hillsides. Rolling into creeks. It's all some type of life spoof.

One time when I was a kid, I remember at recess we would play tag. You know the jungle gym bars that you climb across? Well, one kid got the bright idea to walk on the top of that. One kid was on one side of the bars and another on the other side, essentially blocking him in. What choice did he have? They were closing in...so...I remember this part vividly...in order to not be "IT"...he did a flip off the top of the bars and landed...squarely on his back. THUD!

I heard it all the way from the top of a tree I was hiding in. It was like a sack of wet sand. The aftermath was a body writhing around in pain. We couldn't tell if he was laughing or crying. It was that kind of situation. There were a couple of people who hovered over the body. Someone got the bright idea to take off his glasses...as if it was going to make him breathe easier. Just a crowd of kids watching this boy rock to and fro like a turtle on his back. Forget calling any teacher, this was entertainment. Half of us ran away from the scene of the crime. Laughing. And I'll never forget this...the one dude who was "IT" tagged the injured kid on the ground.

You'd do the same thing. In war, there are going to be casualties.

Here is a few workout lessons you can take from a baby...don't forget to drool:

http://youtu.be/GPkRYNGKJXw

No comments:

Post a Comment